Down to the Wire, Trojans Emerge Victorious

The Blind Brook homecoming soccer games took place during the evening of Saturday,
October 1st. The girls’ game was first, followed by the boys’ game. As the huge crowd filed in,
the girls took the field, followed by the Croton-Harmon Tigers girls team.
Once the senior ceremony ended, the game began. The Trojans immediately brought
intensity and energy. Trojans goalie Anna Vnenchak didn’t let anything pass her, and was
unstoppable in the net. Additionally, the defense was great, and the Tigers had trouble getting to
the goal. The Trojans displayed intensity from the very beginning, especially from freshmen
Kayleigh Curran and Bella Montesano. Despite the Trojans’ great energy, the score remained
0-0. However, this all changed with about twelve minutes left in the first half.
The Trojans were awarded a free kick after a foul committed by the Tigers. Senior Sophia
DeLaurentiis landed a beautiful kick right into the goalie’s box, where striker Riley Storch
scored, giving Blind Brook a 1-0 lead. The crowd went wild with the Trojans in control.
This goal gave the Trojans the confidence they needed for the last twelve minutes of the
half. With less than six minutes left in the second half, Senior Emma Kulekofsky gained control
of the ball and put a missile into the back of the Tiger net from about 30 yards away, extending
the Trojan lead from 1 to 2 goals. Blind Brook went into halftime with a 2-0 shutout going, and a
great performance from goalie Anna Vnenchak.
Coming out from halftime, the Trojans felt good with their 2-0 lead, and hoped to
maintain it. With a goalie change as well as some other changes, the Trojans were off to a good
start in the second half.

With about 22 minutes left in the game, the Tigers finally struck, with a shot to the
bottom left corner of the net to single the Trojan lead down to 1. About two minutes later in the
game, the Tigers were awarded a penalty shot after a foul inside the box on a free kick. With
twenty minutes remaining, the Tigers tied the game 2-2.
The game remained even for the next twenty minutes, resulting in overtime. The first
overtime went by with ten minutes of solid defense from both sides. With 45 seconds left in
double overtime, captain Jordyn Shohet dribbled the ball past her defender, and put a great shot
into the bottom left corner of the goal, eking out an exciting victory for the Blind Brook Girls Soccer Team!